Thursday 14 February 2008

BBDBA Polybian Roman vs Carthage

Our first BBDBA game from our couple of years ago. Indeed it was
this game that got us 'hooked' on the Big Battle experience.

Polybian Romans vs Carthage. The bulk of the Romans we got from a Danish seller on Ebay, very well painted & at a cheap price. They are Essex figures, we finished them off with a coating of 'Miracle Dip' painted on with a brush.

The Carthaginians are a mixture of a few manufacturers, including some Greek type cavalry from Xyston painted by ourselves. Great figures but a pain having to drill all the Spear holes!

II/33 Polybian Roman 275-105BC (x3)
1x3Cv(Gen), 1x3Cv, 6x4Bd, 2x4Sp, 2x2Ps

II/32 Later Carthaginian 275-146BC (x3)
1x3Cv(Gen), 1x2Lh, 3x4Sp, 1x3Ax, 3x3Wb or 2Ps, 1xEl or 3Cv, 1xEl or 2Lh, 1x2Ps

The Polybian Lines


Another view of the Lines, love this Pic!


Jack took the Carthaginians


The Carthaginians advance


My plan was to hold the line using the hill


My right flank is in trouble early on


My Psiloi hold the rough


Waaarrgghh! In go the Gallic Nutters....


Jack presses the attack with Jumbos & Cavalry


Quick Kill Time! His Warband break through


But my left flank looks good & I wipe out his troops.


My centre holds..


Jacks troops overcome mine on my right flank


He piles on the pressure in the centre


Jack throws out Numidian Psiloi to slow down my advance


Nice view of the battle


He wins the flank, can he make his numbers count though?


I manage to hold the centre


View from Jacks lines, the Polybians look good!


Pips desert him & his troops get bogged down


I win the left & Jack wins my right. Losses are heavy for both of us.
We keep the peace & call it a DRAW.


Great game, & we were both happy with the outcome.
I like the Polybian Romans, nice & simple, easy to play.
All those Blades do make a difference.

No comments: